Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Orchid Show at the New York Botanical Garden

New York Botanical Garden, which is in the Bronx have been doing the Orchid show for the last few years if not more. I always thought about visiting the exhibition, but never got a chance around it until this year very recently. I believe, every year their show is based on various themes. This year the theme is "On Broadway". An excerpt from their official website:

      "This must-see, limited run horticultural engagement takes place in the dramatic galleries of the landmark Enid A. Haupt Conservatory. Echoing elements from some of Broadway's most iconic theaters, including the Walter Kerr Theater and the New Amsterdam Theater, The Orchid Show: On Broadway showcases 5,000 dazzling specimens from one of the most distinguished orchid collections in the world."

The Orchid Show

The ticket price is $20.00 adult admission. However, being the resourceful person I am, I got a deal on
Goldstar New York and it was $13.00 adult admission, which meant $7.00 savings per ticket-  a major SCORE!

How I went there:

I live in Inwood section of upper Manhattan, so going there meant I had to go further down to 145 Street station to catch D train and then off I went to Bedford Park Station. Once out of the station, we (my sis and I) took the B26 bus, which was at the corner of the street. From there to the entrance of the garden, I would say the ride probably was about 10 mins max. Bus drops right infront of the garden entrance. There is a Metro North station, right outside the garden station. So, if you are to take the Metro North from Grand Central that's all you have to take, no bus or walking would be involved! Yes, of course you've to walk from the station to the garden, but that's about it. Unlike taking the subway, where either you could take the bus or walk massive 8 block!

The experience:

It was a chilly day, with some drizzle and crazy wind! I had been checking weather forecast on tv, on the internet but due to some scheduling conflict ended up buying the ticket for a not so charming (weather wise that is) day. However, it was OK. Actually, it was very relaxing for me personally to be out and about in that weather. It was rather mystic. My sis and I enjoyed the show very much. Weather didn't really affect us per se, cause the show was indoor. We walked in, followed the rain forest, saw various types of orchids that there were! It only got better as we walked more and followed the route. The ending was SUPERB!!! I guess, the whole display was about that! It was pretty, stunning and not to mention the fragrance! Blew us away. We took so many pictures that at the end both of our cameras ran out of batteries!!! ;) So, then iphone was off to rescue! Thanks God for that!!

Now, here are some pictures:




Once you enter the exhibition area you're greeted by this lovely show stopper!

And then the Orchids...stars of the show!

















Well, so above are the few shots of some beautiful Orchids and needless to say, there were many more varities. And don't get sad or depressed, though indeed it was the Orchid show, there were some other pretty perty flowers too...check out this Gardenia...and then what I called "paper flower" and some others!
















 And now, for the final show stoppers, you really have to be there in order to understand the significance and beauty of it all....words can't describe it...but as they say a picture speaks a thousand words...so here we go








So, that was my visit to the show in a nut-shell! Yes, I said, in a nut shell though these are awful lot of pictures!!! I enjoyed it a LOT. And I hope if you do end up going, you'll too! This event is going to run until April 25th, 2011!!

1 comment: