Thursday, February 2, 2012

Dhaka Attraction: Trip to "Jatiyo Sriti Soudho" or "National Martyrs' Memorial"

Just the other day I made my first "touristic" trip in Dhaka. Well, okay it's a bit misleading to say it's in Dhaka. It's actually outside of Dhaka, in Savar. And it took about 1 and half hours to go from my parent's house to there. It's a place that I really like even though been there only couple of times. Reason being it's really far from Dhaka city, and coupled with notorious Dhaka traffic it seems even further! And yet, I really wanted to go there while it's still cooler outside. Of course, my only worry was how miss little E will handle this long journey in car. She has no problem staying in car as long as it's in motion, God forbids it stops and stay like that for a while (which is what happens when you're stuck in traffic jam) then all hell break loose. Good thing was we left at such a time that she was a bit sleepy and as soon as we hit our first traffic jam, she fell asleep.

I meant to take lots of pics on our way. But truth be told, the scenery wasn't great and made me totally unmotivated. But I did take few pics at the Memorial. That place was rather empty, which I liked. Weather was good, bit windy but perfect otherwise. My niece and cousin's son enjoyed it. My niece really enjoyed it as it was more a huge open spaced park like. Right after entering I noticed a sign for prayer place, a public toilet. Didn't venture to either. I only saw one foreigner there. And the rest seemed people from village who were there for the first time (my assumption purely) and people from local area. We stayed there about one and half hour. Really there was nothing much to do besides starring at the triangle shaped memorial monument. Long ago people could go inside that monument but now they closed it. Most likely people go and litter there. gah! There are hawkers who sell nuts, spicy puffed rice, ice cream etc.

One thing I like about that place is there is a section where they have plants/trees that were planted by various world leaders, and/or various dignitaries. I like to see who planted what....there was a plant planted by the Queen Elizabeth of England, though I couldn't locate it this time. I honestly didn't look much but anyway....

And now some pics










No comments:

Post a Comment