Sunday, May 15, 2011

Vienna 1900 : Neue Galerie New York

The other day while coming home from the Met, I saw Neue Galerie on the 5th avenue, 86 street. It's a museum for the German and Austrian Art. What caught my eyes was the banner on street post that says currently at the Galerie there is an exhibition called "Vienna 1900: Style and Identity". I would love to see that only caz when I was visiting Vienna two years ago, I actually didn't get to visit any museum!!!!! How pathetic and sad that was despite staying there for about 10 days. Won't get into too much details on why...but I was really looking forward to seeing "The Kiss" art by Gustav Klimt, which didn't happen. I know, this is not gonna be like being in Vienna and actually enjoying a museum there....but I will be happy with what we got here. This exhibition does have works by Gustav, so I guess that's good!

So, I did look into their website and I see, the admission price is 15.00!!! yawzaaaa!! But good news is, this museum participates in some museum mile thing and thanks to Bloomberg (I'm guessing the financial Bloomberg not the mayor ;) ) they have First Friday of Every month free from 6-8 p.m., at least for the rest of the year. So, of course I want to visit then...which will be on June 3rd! I hope I will have nothing else going on and can get to see the exhibition.

And they have cafes that sell Sacher Torte!! Another thing that I missed in Vienna...being in actually Viennese cafe and pretending to be one of those intelectual who sip coffee all day long and talk nonsense about politics and such! I did have Sacher Torte...not a fan of it however! And the price of the Sacher Torte at this cafe is whopping $8.00.........nooooooo!!!! Needless to say, I won't be having that!

This is an article I found on the net regarding this exhibition, which explains things a bit more:

Article

Pic from the website of Neue Galerie:


No comments:

Post a Comment